"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." - Mother Teresa

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Soap Box

If you know me even remotely, you know that I have a few soapboxes, things I feel passionate about and am ready to speak strongly on at any given moment. Let me share. (If you don't feel like a bit of a lecture, feel free to tune out now.)

Why is it that women never feel they are good enough? I found myself doing this the other day. I was looking at a friend's blog, and instead of thinking, "Wow, that is great that she is able to do that!" I thought, "Geez, how come I am not doing exciting stuff like that?" What? That is ridiculous! We each do SO much! We need to look at our lives and be satisfied. We don't need to spend time bemoaning the fact that we don't paint, photograph, scrapbook, write, bake, clean, organize, decorate cakes, and a million and one other things all the time. We need to give ourselves credit for the fact that we are still alive and (semi)sane at the end of the day. We should rejoice in other's successes, but not feel that their success in any way means we are not doing enough ourselves. I try and remind myself that there is a time and season for all things. "But what about Pioneer Woman? She homeschools, photographs, writes, cooks yummy food and has time to do a detailed blog of it all!" Well ladies, I am not the Pioneer Woman. I am Tara. I have things I enjoy doing and things I wish I never had to do again and not enough time to get any of it done. And, if I don't accomplish as much in a day as the Pioneer Woman, it doesn't diminish me in the least. And it doesn't diminish you! Be grateful for what you have and do, and don't dwell on the glamour you think you miss!

5 comments:

Jenna Marin said...

Ok, right when I saw your big bolded question the first thing that popped in my head was "Elder Uchtdorf!" I don't know if you got a chance to hear/read it. He spoke at the General Relief Society Broadcast in September of last year. "Happiness, Your Heritage" is the title. Definitely look it up. He is just an amazing guy and makes you feel all warm and bubbly. I think it applies pretty well to how you're feeling :)

Tara said...

The talk was great! For those who didn't hear it, the link is: http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-947-37,00.html. Thanks, Jenna.

KellyAnne said...

Oh don't worry. The Pioneer Woman has her heartaches and insecurities too. We all do, I've learned. And it's funny that you are posting about this because to ME, YOU are one of those amazingly talented people who can probably do everything. So there. At least everyone thinks you're amazing, whether or not you agree with that!

Lyndee said...

I so agree! :)

Stacie said...

Amen sister!