"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." - Mother Teresa

Sunday, July 6, 2008

That's Just Great

When we went to the parade on the 4th, my friend related a funny story. Our daughters are about the same age, and one day, her daughter said (of Joy), "Sometimes I wish we could just trade lives." Obviously, she wouldn't really. But, I felt good that, from the outside at least, Joy's life looked appealing to another little girl her age.

I was humbled today.

As we were walking down to visit with my family before my mom leaves for Nevada tomorrow, I talked to one of the ladies who live on the way. She was sitting on her front porch, and one of her little girls was calling to her from in the house. She explained that her daughter was a momma's girl. "You must be a good mom then." I told her. And, Joy said, "You're the best mom in the whole world." I appreciated hearing that and told Joy that I appreciated it.

"No, I said you're not the best mom in the whole world. You're a good mom, but not the best mom in the whole world."

Good to keep these things in perspective.

1 comment:

pbjhdad said...

You should probably blog Joy's explanation that the best Mom in the world gives her children candy all the time AND keeps them from getting cavities. (I think the cavities remark was Joy's argument/promotion for the possibility of eating unlimited candy with no negative effects.)