"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." - Mother Teresa

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Sturcture

I need it. Structure, that is. We took a week off after Joy got out of school to just be lazy. It was a rough week. This week we got back to work and started doing little lessons everyday with all the kids and reading work with Joy while the boys sleep. Things are pretty basic, this week we are working on shapes and doing all kinds of shape-related activities, but it is something. I found a teacher's planning book at the dollar store, and it got me started. Very simple and easy, but it gave me a starting place. The lessons only last 10 minutes or so, but I also try to incorporate some kind of art project or outdoor activity or something else. We even went to the library one day this week (the first time in over two years, literally). I found that this week was a much better week. I didn't get as much of my personal stuff done, but I found much more satisfaction in life. Somehow the structure I needed was there, and I was able to immerse myself in being a mom. I have often contemplated on how I could devote more of myself to motherhood; I always seem to be distracted by what project I want to do next. Now, I am doing projects with the kids. The projects may not be as grand, but we are all far more fulfilled. And, I am not so distracted. Instead of the day taking forever, it goes quickly. I am really enjoying what we are doing and I feel like I am being a better steward over my chief resource, time.

1 comment:

Chivaun-o-rama said...

Tara, you never cease to amaze me! Your kids are gonna look back on their life, and see how much you did with them on a day to day basis, and be so grateful for that time with you!

I look back at the time my Nana spent with us, and especially on one on one time. I will always be grateful for the people who took interest in my life, but especially my own mom, she is, like most moms, the BEST!