"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." - Mother Teresa

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

sigh...

A while ago, I was frustrated by a children's author who decided that, after finishing a series I quite enjoyed, she needed to go back and proclaim that one of the main characters was homosexual. This pronouncement caused a lot of introspection on my part. In the end, I decided to throw the series away and not have any more to do with the author (not that we were personally acquainted in the first place, but...). I could not have something so insidious in my home, especially aimed at my children. This was a hard decision for me, but I felt that supporting the books was in some way saying, "well, it's not too bad". And, I realized that I was being inconsistent. Why is homosexual behavior not okay, but sexual relations outside of marriage aren't so bad? Long story short, I decided that I needed to remove from my home media that portrayed explicitly or implicitly extra-marital sexual relations. Since that decision, I don't watch many movies. I was shocked at how many movies and books contain relations of that type. And, they are so much a part of our society (or media's depiction of our society) that we don't even notice them. I am concerned about the not-so-subtle attack on traditional family values. I don't know if people don't really understand the damage these relations cause, or if they know and just don't care.

Now, I am sure that I sound like a prude. But, if no one stands up for what is right, the wrong will prevail. It makes me sad that we live in a time when this even has to be addressed. And, don't get me wrong, I am not judging people, but a choice. I am worried for my children. If this is what we are dealing with now, what will they have to deal with in 15 years?

No comments: