"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." - Mother Teresa

Friday, March 14, 2008

To Dump or not to Dump?

So, I was talking to a friend today about exercise and the difficulty of staying motivated. She said she is working on a program called, "Dump Your Plump" that she liked. It sounded interesting, so even though she said she would send me the info, I looked for it and found it on the Internet. I am not sure if my friend is doing the web-sponsored version or a take off, but I am thinking about doing my own take off. It goes like this:

You get points for the good things you do and loose points for the not-so-good things you do. Easy enough. Good things are worth a point and consists of things like: get at least 6 hours of sleep, do 20 minutes of exercise, drink 6 cups of water, eat x number of vegetables, eat x number of fruits, etc. Bad things are worth a negative point and consist of eating treats. They have to be bad things you do, not good things you don't do. And, treats are my worst thing I do (health-wise, that is). However, I suppose there could be other bad things.

You start with a group, and in the beginning each person puts $10 in the pot. You keep track of your points for a specified amount of time, and whoever has the most points at the end gets to pot. I thought it sounded like a great idea. It encourages all-around wellness and doesn't have such a strong focus on pounds lost. Weight lost by starvation is not a great idea (and I can't do it since I am nursing.) So I was thinking, is there anyone else who would be interested in trying this? We would have to agree on exactly what constitutes points and how long we would do it, but it would be a great motivator for me. Mom and I have already decided we are going to do it, and the more who participate, the bigger the pot! If you are interested, let me know! And, I guess since Dump Your Plump is an already-in-use name, a new name would be great. I am good at lists, so I will put together some tracking lists you can use, but I am horrible with names. I am so excited! And, since proximity doesn't matter, anyone who wants to can participate. Scouts honor.

2 comments:

erin said...

I am definatly IN!!! It sounds like a great idea!!

Lewieville said...

I'm in, Erin will send you my email address later! I am so excited!!