"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." - Mother Teresa

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I VOTED!

Last night, Joy (who, by the way, is 6) came home with something that troubled me. She was super excited because her school is having an assembly for Veteran's Day today (Tuesday). And, she was talking about voting. I am not sure to what extent the subject has been discussed in school, but there has obviously been some discussion. She asked me who I was voting for. I told her, "McCain". She was excited and wanted to know who Dad (John) was voting for. I told her, "McCain". She was so excited that both of her parents were voting the same (twins, she said) that she started dancing in the kitchen. She couldn't wait to go to school and tell her friends. Then, she got serious and said, "Oh, I guess I shouldn't tell. We need to keep our vote private." Apparently, someone in authority at school told her that she shouldn't talk about who she was voting for. I was concerned. We talked about that we have the right to keep our vote private, but we also have the right to share our opinions on candidates, and our preferences in voting. In fact, I believe we have an obligation to share our opinions. "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing." Please, do something. VOTE!!! And yes, I voted MCCAIN!

4 comments:

Lyndee said...

Amen! :)

Chivaun-o-rama said...

Hmmm...

I think for me, it's sometimes hard to share with people who I voted for, because I get sick and tired of the "Oh my gosh, WHY?" comments. Maybe I need to buck up and grow a back bone. :)

I think it's cool Joy was excited about voting. I had 2 kids in Seminary who were disappointed they missed their 18th birthdays missed the vote date by a couple weeks.

KellyAnne said...

I see both sides of this issue. On one hand, I think that it's nobody else's business who I chose to vote for or why. On the other hand, you're right, if we believe in something we should speak up for it. I hope they weren't telling Joy that you COULDN'T tell people who you were voting for. I think they just wanted to teach the kids at school that it's a private, personal choice that you get to make by yourself, and that no one should criticize anyone else for their opinion. Do you see what I mean? I really think they may have had good intentions with that one.

Nate and Amy said...

Yeah for voting! It is our unique right and privilege to vote in this country. There is nothing to be ashamed of in expressing our political opinions to others. In school situations, the teachers must be careful as it would be inappropriate to lobby in their classrooms for one candidate or another. That said, your daughter has every right to express her opinion. Expressing an opinion (even if it is opposite to another's opinion) is not a put-down to anyone. We can always agree to disagree. That is my opinion :-)