"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." - Mother Teresa

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Experiment

Joy has become very concerned about the balance of power at our house. She feels like I have it all and she has none. She is constantly complaining about not getting to be in charge, so I have decided to let her be in charge. Of course, along with that comes responsibility. We talked, and tomorrow she is going to be responsible for meals, chores that I usually do, and the boys - and, she gets to be in charge. Although, for his safety, I am still responsible for Hyrum. Joy is quite excited at the prospect, and I hope it will be a great teaching opportunity. We talked a bit about what her responsibilities would include and came upon some things she didn't want to do. She decided that the things she couldn't do, she would just tell me to do, and I would have to do them. "What if I don't want to do them?" "Well, you will just have to sit on the stairs until you do!" (The usual punishment for disobedience or sassing.) I think tomorrow could be an interesting day. John thinks we need to give her the whole day, but I think I will have to see how things go.

9 comments:

Chivaun-o-rama said...

I know it will be a learning experiment...but I think you're too nice...

I think my mom and dad would have laughed in my little cute face. ;)

Crystal said...

I can't wait to hear the outcome. I figure it is a win win situation. Either she will really appreciate all the hard work you do, or she'll be a success and you'll be able to delegate so much of what drives us women crazy in a day! You go lady!

Becky Jensen said...

what a good mom you are for letting her try that! let me know how it goes.

Nerell said...

Anxiouxly waiting to hear the outcome also!!!!

Anita said...

I can't wait to hear how this goes! I've been toying with the idea of doing something similar since I've been hearing a lot lately the same thing from Brady - "How come I have to do everything?" Does he really have any idea what all happens in this house everyday?

KellyAnne said...

Oh Joy, what a day awaits you!

Chivaun-o-rama said...

I'm sure we would all like an update, please. =] hehe

Stacie said...

Um, that is brilliant, i think I am going to suggest it to Maira, as she is convinced that I had children so that they could be my slaves.

erin said...

I can see it all now!! Things will work out perfect and she'll want to keep doing it!! It seems to always work that way!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!!