"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." - Mother Teresa

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A-B-C-D-E-F

My kids have been on a letter kick lately. We have discovered that Brigham can correctly identify 85% of his alphabet. This comes as a bit of a shock for me, because I have not done any conscious work to teach them to him. Sure, Joy is in kindergarten and working on her letters, and we have more alphabet toys then food, but that is beside the point. We have really been enchanted with Brigham. Then, last night as I was putting the boys to bed, Paul held out a letter stencil to me, pointed to the D, and said, "D". (D is the one letter he can say.) I then realized that he might be able to identify even if he can't actually say the word. Sure enough, he identified A through F on the stencil - not in order and correctly the first time. This is HUGE! When a child can't talk, it is often difficult to gauge their comprehension, and this is a major step. Paul has just been doing beautifully lately. He is signing much more - thank you and please, bear, cereal, ice cream, cheese, milk, bear, and rainbow all come readily to mind, who knows what I am forgetting. We are SO excited!

1 comment:

Nate and Amy said...

I am so excited for you! It is fun to celebrate each success!
Amy