"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." - Mother Teresa

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Kindness

We got snow today, a very rare occurrence in these parts. Not just snow, but about 5 inches of it. Last night, Paul was sick, so I took the kids first things in the morning down to my parents house to keep Joy, Brigham and Hyrum off of Paul. When we came back for lunch, I noticed that someone had started shoveling our walk. I figured it was just the neighbor who had gotten going and not realized how far he had gone. After a while, I heard shoveling outside and figured it was our neighbor working on his driveway. When John pulled in the drive, I went out to meet him. And, there was our neighbor, who I have never met before, just finishing shoveling our driveway and walk. I could not hold back the tears. We have lived here for over a year, and I have never gone and introduced myself. I have waved in passing, but with John gone for a year, meeting your single, male neighbor isn't the world's best idea. And yet, when it snowed, and he didn't think John was here, he shoveled our walk. That gives me hope. Sometimes the world seems full of hostility and frustration. It is good to be reminded that there are others there as well. Thanks Matt.

2 comments:

Chivaun-o-rama said...

Rhoda's neighbor shoveled her walk too...and a spot for me to park...such a simple thing makes you feel so good...amazing, isn't it!?

Angela said...

That was really touching. The world is really full of wonderful people. You are one of those poeple too.
love ya
angela